Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interview today

Status
Not open for further replies.

limejudo

Technical User
Aug 4, 2004
US
I have an interview w/ a hosting company today. The position is Network Engineer. What technical questions can I expect for them to ask?

Thanks..

Eric - A+, INet+ CCNA
Just got laid off!! Man that sucks. Dallas/FW

LimeJudo,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't know what questions you can expect them to ask, then you are probably not the right person for the job if they are expecting someone with experience.

If however, they are looking for an entry-level candidate that they are willing to do OJT, then if they ask you a question for which you do not know the answer, you can say:
That is a question for which I don't know the answer. I am, however, a very quick study and given the opportunity to consult a reference manual and to ask questions, I'm certain that I can generate excellent results relating to that topic.
(or words similar). Such a response has always garnered respect if/when I have had to use it and I guarantee that it is far better than trying to BS my way through the question.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I agree with Dave, honesty is certainly the best policy in these circumstances. I addition to Dave's reference manual, you might also like to include a reference to an excellent on-line forum where your questions will probably be answered within hours if not minutes!!

Anyway - good luck. Let us know how you get on.

All I ask of you
Is make my wildest dreams come true

Hey thanks fella's. I was just curious as I've never worked in a hosting environment. I have the networking experience including pix. I just thought maybe there might be some trick questions.

Tek-tips has helped my out before in the pass! Thanks again guys.

Cat Chaser - A+, INet+, CCNA
Just got laid off!! Man that sucks. Dallas/FW

Expect to be asked a lot of questions about redundancy and fault tollerance.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back