Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interview for QA on new Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rcock

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2004
US
I am switching over to corporate after 3 years of independent and I am being interviewed for Quality Assurance "Testing" position. It has been awhile since I have tested out software, which was for a large campus, but I am wondering what topics or questions which may be risen in this interview process. I have already passed the HR dpt. and the guy even creating a position for me within a division. I would be responsible for trying to break the applications and reporting back to the developers before they send it to market. So I am asking who here has the experience as a tester and what should I be aware of when going in to meet the manager?

Rcock

I would say:
You need to know about different types of testing (white box, black box, unit testing, integration testing, regression testing etc), a basic definition and the pros and cons of each.
Questions to ask (if you don't know already or get told):
The sorts of applications that they develop (eg Win32, Mac, Unix, Web based) and the types of issues that are likely to come up from the relevant types.
Whether they use automated test tools, if so which.

etc

Will you be responsible for writing your own test scripts (in the case of an automated tool), or test harneses (in the case of source-level & unit testing).

Also - Will they be doing performance testing? Some organizations will track performance over time, so they can see if new code (whether part of new development, or as part of maintenance) causes things to run slow.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

It sounds like you're probably applying for an entry or junior level testing position. As with most entry level positions, they're going to be looking more for smart people than experienced people. Knowing the differences between clear box and black box testing is less important than being able to show that your a smart guy who has the qualities that would make a good tester. I'm sure you can guess these (detail oriented, ability to prioritize important vs. non-important bugs, etc.).

Depending on the company, they may ask you some "microsoft" questions. As a linux person it pains me to say this, especially since the questions have really nothing to do with microsoft, but since Microsoft relies so heavily on them compared to other companies, they get the name. Basically, these are logic type questions and testing questions on basic items. For instance, in interviews I've done, I've been asked how I would test a scuba divers watch, an elevator, and one of those cans of bubble mix you buy at the kids' store for like 50 cents. When you answer these questions they are looking for you to brainstorm all the different ways to test these objects. They want to know that you can figure out which things are important and organize the tests by dependence on each other (i.e. before you test that the lights on the elevator buttons work, you should test that there's actually electricity going to it). They may also ask you what kinds of things can be automated and repeated. Anyways, to look up these questions, you can do a google search for microsoft interview questions. If they ask you one of these types of questions, make sure to talk constantly. The purpose of these questions is to see how your mind works, so they want to hear your inner monologue. Don't worry if you say something stupid, it's far better that you say 3 smart things and 1 dumb thing, than nothing at all.

As with any interview, if the interviewer wants to do the talking let them. A lot of people, often management types, like to have people sit and listen to them. You'd be surprised how much the smile and nod routine will please someone with a large enough ego, or deeply routed self-esteem issues (never took a psych course in my life, does it show?). Of course, if you have an interview like that, you should really be asking yourself how much you want the job.

-Venkman

Another important quality in a tester is persistance! Someone who will bug the developer to either fix the problem, or explain why it's not a problem.

As a developer, I hate this :) But I realize that it's necessary in order to create a good product.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Thank you all for your input. I am taking everyones advice and trying to put a game plan togethor. I have my interview tomorrow. The company is big, it is used in all major University book stores. So I hope everything goes well. I will keep ya posted.

Rcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back