Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interprocess Communication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMShadow

Programmer
Sep 29, 2002
US
Okay, I've done some searching online but I can't find quite what I need. I suspect it's partly because I'm not sure what to look for, as my Windows programming experience is limited. Maybe someone here could point me in the right direction. Here is my situation:

I have two Windows applications that are communicating with each other. I didn't write them so I'm not sure of the protocol used, but I suspect it's some kind of Windows messages (rather than pipes or sockets or something). I want to automate user input to run some tests so I don't have to sit at the computer. The input is dependent on the previous output so I need a way to monitor communication between the applications and simulate the appropriate keyboard/mouse input. Is there a way to monitor messages until I see the one I need from app1 to app2, and then use that data to determine which keystroke to send to app1?

Like I said, Windows programming is not my strong point so I might be asking the wrong questions. If any of this needs clarification, let me know. Thanks a lot.

>> Is there a way to monitor messages

yes see the "SPY" sample on msdn.microsoft.com

>> and then use that data to determine which keystroke to
>> send to app1?

that is application specific so you will have to figure that out on your own.

hope that helps
-pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back