Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interorg Exchange Migration - Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

akwoolf

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hello-

Background:

Currently at a client that is migrating/consolidating 6 different domains into one new domain.

One Exchange 2003 (SP2) server in its own domain.

Users logon to workstations locally - not logging onto domain.

Desired End-State:

New Domain

New Exchange 2003 Organization - same SMTP domain name.

We have chosen to migrate user accounts (w/SID history) and mailboxes from current email domain - mainly because all users across organization have mailboxes in email domain.

File and other security are to be recreated in new domain.

Migration is planned to be department by department.

Would like to get opinions on how to migrate one department at a time, while maintaining GAL contact between the new and old email domain. There is currently an SMTP connector between the old and new domains to forward a few test accounts that have been migrated to the new Exchange org. In the place of mailboxes in the old Exchange org, users have been enabled with external email accounts. Essentially - contacts, instead of mailbox users. These users are seen in the GAL in the old domain. No problem there.

I would like to find a way to automate this process - instead of manually inputting email contact info; I would like to have the email information updated in the old domain as the email accounts are migrated to the new domain.

I have considered using IIFP, but not sure if this is the appropriate measure.

Also would like opinions on updating Outlook profiles on workstations not attached to the domain. In the past, I have been able to do so using the Exchange Profile Update tool via login script or GPO.

Opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back