Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

modclocker

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
US
I have read all of the threads concerning connecting to the internet in XP Pro. This is a clean install. Reformatted the drive. No matter how I set the connections, either auto detect or manually configure the IP,default gateway and the DNS. No Joy. I have done the winsockfix and nothing. I can ping the router and I can ping outside the router. It tries to connect but gets about halfway onto a site,i.e., banner and background loads but then I get a DNS error.Three other computers in the house are fine. I have checked the router, modem and the hub and all are fine.I have lowered all the security settings and the firewall in XP is not on. This is a real hair puller

What's the dns you're using?
Does it have the same name as another pc(I'm assuming networked pcs sharing a connection)
Also is there anything wrong with the nic?
Try setting the dns as the router ip and see what happens.
What does the error say exactly?

DNS is the same as the router. No other computers are named the same and the error is the standard "Page Can Not Be Displayed" Server or DNS error. Both NICs are working or at least they were when I took them out of other rigs. I guess I need to buy a new one to rule that out.Could it be a glitch in the bios? There is no onboard LAn to turn on or off. Bad Mobo? I am totally stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back