Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet use by 2 computers? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pafman

Vendor
May 4, 2001
US
Will win 2k allow 2 computers to use the internet at the same time? This is a home network system and I need both computers to have access to the net at the same time.

Thanks,
Pafman

you need to include more info, like what type of internet connection.

dsl/cable, or dialup...
also, are the two computers networked, or both stand alone?
answer these and you'll be able to get more help...

you can email me at junior1544@yahoo.com if you want direct help...

Yes win2K, allow multiple computer to use internet.

you have just to share your line, that's connect to the internet.

If your server has 2 network cards,
one NIC connected to the LAN, and the other one connected to a cable/xDSL modem, then you can set up NAT very easily.

Right click on RRAS in MMC (or look for Routing & Remote Access in Programs -> Administrative Tools), and choose 'enable Routing & Remote Access'
Select 'manual configuration' and click next until the setup has completed
After completion, right click on 'general' under the IP routing section, and choose 'New Routing Protocol'
Choose NAT from the list

Right click on 'Network Address Translation' under the IP routing section, and choose 'new interface'
All the interfaces, both logical & physical are listed here
First, select your public interface (=interface that has an public internet IP)

Set this interface to 'public interface connected to the internet' and check 'translate TCP/UDP headers'
Do the same for the internal interface, and set it's properties to 'private interface connected to private network'

Right click 'Network address translation (NAT)' and choose properties
Go to the address translation tab, and make sure the checkbox 'automatically assign IP addresses by using DHCP' is DISABLED
In the tab 'Name resolution', make sure everything is disabled as well.

Assuming that your server is running DNS :
Now go to the DNS snap-in in mmc, right-click on the local server name, and choose properties
Go to the forwarders tab, and enable forwarders
Fill in the address of the DNS server of your ISP, and click OK

Reboot your server

Client configuration : if your clients have a fixed IP, make sure the default GW is pointing to your RRAS server, and that the DNS server is pointing to the RRAS server as well (by using the forwarder, your RRAS server will be able to resolve all names, including internet addresses...)
If your clients are using DHCP, make sure the DHCP scope options are assigning the IP address of your RRAS server as default gateway, and that the IP address of the DNS server is pointing to your RRAS server as well...

Try to ping to 209.73.180.2
Try to do a tracert to 209.73.180.2
Try to ping to
If these 3 tests work, then you will be able to surf the internet.
(make sure your IE is not using a proxy server when it's not needed)

Good luck
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

set one up to be a proxy server - there are plenty of free ones about.

this way you can have as many machines conected as you like

You have many different choices here. Probably the simplest is to use a third party package like WinProxy, SyGate, or WinGate. These are available via Tucows.com and are easy to set up and administer (most give you thirty day trial before you have to buy). The cheapest and best solution though, is to use the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) package that comes with Windows 2K, 98 and Windows ME. Just go to Windows Help and type in "Internet Connection Sharing". There are instructions there on how to set up an install disk, etc. Hope this helps!

Greg A.
Greg Armstrong
A+ MCSE+I :)

A question on ICS. If my cable connection is going into a hub with a win98 machine and a win2k advanced server machine, on which machine would you recommend installing ICS first? I know that when I installed ICS on my win98 machine, it wanted me to make a client disk. I was unsure as to its compatibility with my 2k machine so I cancelled. What would you recommend for this particular situation.

Whichever system has your modem connection (dial-up adapter) should be the host. I had mine setup to use my ME system as the host and a 98 box as the client. Greg Armstrong
A+ MCSE+I :)

I followed Peter's directions above, but was unable to add the DNS server for my ISP. The tab shows a message about my server being a root serve. Because of this I can't add the DNS address. How can I modify my server so that it is not a root server?

lew

I have 2 comps. and I'm trying to run both of the off a cable connection. In the one comp. I have win98se(2NIC cards) and in the other I have win 2000 pro(1 NIC Card).I cant seem to find any proxy serving programs....if thats what i am suppose to do. Can anyone help me??? Please try to give me step to step instruction please. Thanx

delete the . zone in your DNS,
reboot the server,
and then you will be able to add the forwarder...

good luck Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

I am also using one WIN2K server also to host multiple clients, but my public connection must be resloved using the DHCP from my ISP, I havent any static IP or DNS addresses. When I installed 2K server it gave me mulitple error messages about WINS, DHCP, and DNS were not functional because one or more adapters has dynamic addresses. This machine is to be a VPN server that outside clients can connect, and ICS server that internal clients can share the DSL connection. Is it possible to use NAT from a dynamically assigned IP to those dynamically assigned addresses issued from the 2k server?

I installed a ANALOGX on 2k pro and win98(client side) shared internet through proxy. It works well, and now the only problem is unable to access secure web site from win98(client side) but no problem on 2k pro(server side). Any ideas? Thanks!

hi lweng
in win98
open the internet explorer proxy settings
and in the secure option put the port no as
6588.then the secured sites like hotmail etc.
should open in win98
Kapil Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

Hey, i have one computer upstairs and one computer downstairs and i only have 1 phone line, i am using a dialup connection with freeserve. well anyway is there some sort of cable i can get to sare one modem and one isp on one compuetr with another in the same house. if there is please let me know

If you want to run NAT to two windows machines and have a solid web server, just download redhat7.1 and setup a server with two network cards. If you have a CD burner, you can make setup CDs by downloading them with your Win2000 server. (See, on topic!)
You could also run virtual domains from either a Win2000 NAT server or a RedHat server which means you can really have your own server even if your ISP gives you a dynamic IP and cuts you off occasionally.
Windows can be configured to reconnect on drop in various ways and so can Linux so either is an acceptable server platform even with the cheapest ISPs.

Its this easy

on the computer with the inet connection
download and install analogx proxy - its free from I used this and I think its brilliant

then on the other pc set the browser to use a network proxy, put in the first pc's IP address and port 6588 and youre sorted. internet sharing in 5 minutes flat

When you connect the first PC to the internet the other is also connected.

Well easy. no exaggeration, but you must use TCP/IP as the main network protocol, and I know that the proxy works on ISDN and Dial Up Modems.

The program has no advanced features like blocking or logging but its the neatest simplest free-est proxy i've seen.

Tels

I just installed w2k server, and i have enabled internet share, from the served, and on the second compter changed the setting to use proxy setting with operates win98,
i manage to get connected to my isp but i can not browse the internet, and the second computer drop the network connection, the connect line i am using is ADLS, can anyone help

I just want to ask something... what is the difference between proxy dhcp server and dhcp server ?
thanx...

Hi I have a Problem
i have a win2k Server as a sing´le server in the network as cleients i have win2k pro and win 98. well i´set the rputing configs everything was ok. now the problem is that my cleint (trying out with win2k pro) cant open any websites but when i ping to ip adds it funktions, when i ping to it say unknown host. can someone help me please, i have been trying since a week now and still not getting through. would be of great help
thanx
ameer
email: shaik@writeme.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back