Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Usage Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

retto

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
I have a Windows 98 machine on the factory room floor that is accessed by after hours employees. The manager believes that people have been abusing the internet during late hours. I have copied the user profile info to my hard drive and accessed the index.dat files with notepad. Unfortunately, the index files do not provide enough information. I need to see time, date and address info and present it to the warehouse/factory manager in a report form. I thought about using cookies, but it looks as if the user has been able to clean those out and the temporary internet files, as well. I don't know if it matters, but the machine has IE 6.0 on it. Anybody got an idea of how I can get this info?

I don't use IE so I am not familiar with where things are stored but it seems to me that if you could change where the history file is written then you'd have a chance to get the info you wanted. If this machine is accessing the 'net through your company lan than you should be able to trace the web addresses through the lan.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back