Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Usage Policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murugs

Technical User
Jun 24, 2002
US
I need to setup a company internet usage policy..Got some ideas to device a draft, but confused on a start..May be somebody here can share the intenret usage policies in your companies..and throw some info..

MP

I recently posted several resources/samples in the General Security discussion forum. Check here: thread83-727448

Also, a warning banner when logging in is a very good way to make sure your message gets to everyone. I have a warning banner and an I accept before the use is able to log in to the network.

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

All the companies that I've worked at, this was handled by HR either at time of hire, or when the policy was put into place. A basic one page document that was signed and returned to HR and placed in the employees personal file, that said that I could use the net, but looking at p0rn, warez, etc would get the employee fired.

Just make sure that there is a copy of the policy available for employees to look at on the intranet site.

A written signed policy gives you some legal recource and protection in the event that someone violates the policy and needs to be terminated, or someone gets offended because of what is on the screen of someone else.

Denny

Between the ESP=ON and the RUM (Read Users Mind) upgrade, I'm ready to go.

Make sure that you acceptible usage policy is viewable before they log in. If they sign a document when they are hired that is specific on what they can and can not do and your policy changes then you would have to get all employees to sign the new document. Better to have them sign a general agreement that references the living document and that they agree to keep current with that document. When that policy changes you should provide a means where they know that it has change. Email, staff meeting, or other notification is a curtosy.

Thanks for the answer guys.

MP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back