Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet speed very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

repairer

Vendor
Jan 10, 2002
Wonder if anyone can help me with the following problem, I have broadband installed (512k) and just recently my connection to the web speeds have been very poor, I have a cable modem and also have a Zonet router connected, when I access the web from my PC download speeds are in the region of 4-5k and web pages are very slow to load, when I access the same downloads and pages using my laptop (which connects to the web via the router connected to my PC) I get download speeds of over 50k. Downloads from my PC seem erratic, they stop then start again and are very slow.
I have tried the following, to no avail.

re-install IE6
re-install XP prof
remove and re-install NIC
remove router and connect modem direct
run various spyware programs
run three online virus checks as well as have a virus checker installed on my PC
run system restore - back one month
disabled firewall in XP and router firewall

None of the above seemed to make any difference, couple of points worth mentioning is that when I start a download the connect speed is very high 30-40k then it drops very quickly down to around 4-5k, also for some reason I cannot create a workgroup on my PC, I attempt to set one up, it goes through the wizard OK but when I try look at computers in workgroup it brings up a message saying cannot find or I do no have permission to view - don't know wether this is connected to my web problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pete

Hardware:
The nic, pci slot, adapter driver & resources in use and cable each need to be checked, in turn and if possible swapped. Is your adapter driver set up to the correct speed for the router 100/10 are the other adapter settings compatible? Any other expansion cards, or usb devices interfering? Any bios changes e.g pnp settings?

Software:

run a command console and see what ipconfig /all reveals about your adapter connection - is it what you expect - do you have the right ip address from the router dhcp server, or from the one on the modem?

Are you using a proxy server in internet options? It may be having problems. If so try to bypass it.

Run a broadband speed check, either on the web, or download from
Do your TC/PIP settings need tweaking : and follow their recommendations using DRTCP.

Ask your broadband supplier if they can help
That's all I can think of for now.

could it possibley be too many firewalls. I have had something like that happen before where i have 2 to 3 firewalls installed on my computer and it slows down the receiving of information from the internet???

Thanks guys, solved the problem, it was a faulty Network card, changed card, now getting very fast connection.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back