Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

balajee

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
NZ
Hi
I have Windows 2000 Advance server and Windows XP Professional connected through a hub. In the network both computers can see each other. When Ping from each other reply is received. I have internet connection set up on Win2K Ad server and set to sharing. But when I connect to internet, the XP machine cannot connect to internet. I have set the ip address of the xp machine as:
192.168.0.111 and subnetmask as 255.255.255.0

What's going wrong?

Thanks

You say they can see each other, can you transfer files? If so, use Internet Connection Sharing, there are many sources of information on how to use it(help and support on your machine is one).

I have used internet connection sharing on Win2K Ad server by right clicking the connection and ticking the check box for "enable internet sharing..." but its not working.

maybe set the default gateway on the xp machine to the ip of the win2k if this doesnt work set ip on winxp to aotuconfigure as when internet sharing is set up on win2k it acts as a DHCP server.

I just read on Microsoft site that ICS should not be enabled on a domain controller Win2k server. i will try setting the default gateway on my xp m/c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back