Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmtjet

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
My friend ask me to assist him in setting up a shared internet connect. He already has an DSL high speed internet connection. The phone company supplied him with a Westell model 6100 Liteline Dual connection nat router. It's not a wireless router. He wants to share the DSL connection with his wifes computer wirelessly. Here's what I'm thinking. I know I'll need a wireless adapter card for her computer. I'm also thinking about using a wireless access point next to the DSL modem/router. Here's where I need help. If I use an AP, what else do I need to get on the DSL connection? Do I need a switch? A hub? What about cabling. Do I use patch or crossover or what? If you can help me out please be specific, I don't have much experience with networking. Thanks.

PS: They're not interested in sharing files-just the internet connection.

As long as you have an available port on the westel modem/router you will not need a switch. Just plug the access point in to an open router port. A patch cable should work but you may need a cross over cable but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back