Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INTERNET SHARING WITH DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandak7

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
Hi

I have the following setup. DSL line dial up,Dynamic IP,DSL modem ,DSL connectivity from Ameritech,Enternet software loaded in my machine by ameritech,PPPoE adapter enabled,Windows Me Host,Windows 2000 proffessional client,linksys 4 port switch.My host machine has got two network cards both 10/100 mbps .

I tried to share the internet through Microsoft ICS but i failed .I would like to know is there any conflict between ICS , DSL ,Millenium ,Enternet software.I tried all the possibilities described in tech sites.

Let me know is there any possibility of sharing internet with above setup,or i may have to go for hardware internet sharer( Router) to share the internet.I have a doubt whether hardware internet sharer can share the dialup DSL.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

NANDA

HI!

One catch with ICS is this -
It changes the Ethernet (local NIC) IP address to pre-defined 192.168.0.1 on the ICS server (the computer with the Internet connection).
The other computers need to be DHCP enabled to get the IP settings from the ICS "server", or to be manualy configured with 192.168.0.X 255.255.255.0, default gateway = 192.168.0.1

One simple and free alternative to ICS is this:

Bye
Yizhar
Yizhar Hurwitz

Another, not quite so cheap option would be to buy a router.

Preferably one with a Firewall if you haven't got any software.

Geraldine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back