Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Sharing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

winzip

Programmer
Nov 6, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a DSL modem connected to a Linksys N ultra router that allows internet sharing among my various systems: I have 2 desktop PCs hardwired to the router, a PC laptop that connects wirelessly and a Mac Mini that used to be able to connect wirelessly also. But lately I have not been able to get to the internet on the Mac - the "bars" on the airport icon is at the minimum... sometimes I am able to get to my Safari homepage but then I lose connectivity just as soon as the homepage pops up.

I am able to go to the internet on my laptop so I know it is probably not the router that is the problem. Unfortunately I am more of a PC user and know very little about Macs... I tried hardwiring the Mac but I get lost in the setup process and fail... can someone please help?

Thanks so much!

Winzip

Have you moved the Mac recently? Make sure DHCP is turned on.

Connecting via an Ethernet cable should really not require any configuration at all, unless you are using fixed IP addresses.

Hi pentode,

No, I have not moved the Mac. When I log on to the router, I see that DHCP is enabled.

I have plugged in the ethernet cable into the Mac and still could not go to the internet that is why I tried fiddling with the various setup dialogs on the Mac (airport, ethernet) but still to no avail.

Winzip

There should a Network application under Utilities, I think. You might check that to see what the Mac is set for. You may need to be logged in as the Administrator (superuser) to change the settings.

If you want to hard wire, go to Apple Menu/system Preferences. Click on Network. You should get a window that says location - automatic and then SHOW. Pick Built in ethernet from the drop down menu. Then make sure that Configure IPv4 has "Using DHCP" picked on the drop down menu. As long as you have an ethernet cable plugged into the computer and router, you should be good to go.

Make sure you turn Airport off when you want to connect via ethernet.

On your airport problem, you might try enabling interference robustness. It's available on the Airport menu if you have that showing at the top of your screen. If not, you can go to Network preference select Airport from the drop down menu next to Show and check "Show Åirport status" in the lower part of the window.

While in the Network/Airport window, you can click Assist me. You'll get a window asking if you want assistance setting up or solving a problem. Click Diagnostics to check your problem.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Hi pentode and jmgalvin,

I've done those things - and still can't go to the internet on the Mac. I have called my ISP provider and they are unable to help either.

The thing is, my warranty on the Mac mini has expired and I just want to try a few more things before I go to a Mac store and have it looked at (which I am sure will cost me).

So I will be waiting for a few more suggestions. I do appreciate the responses.

Thanks!

Winzip

Can you try plugging the Mac directly to your DSL modem? And you verified the cable you are using is good?

On the Mac under System Preferences/Network/Advanced you should be able to try to renew the DHCP lease. I'd be curious to know if you see an IP address listed there.

There is also an "Assist Me" box that should take you to some network diagnostics. The wired Ethernet connection is generally pretty bullet-proof.

It should not be the machine if you can't connect by either wireless or ethernet. If you cannot get connected via ethernet after using the Assist Me button, It might be best to schedule an appointment with Apple "genius bar" and have them show you.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Hi guys,

I will try your suggestions and if those fail I will bite the bullet and go to the Apple store.

Thanks so much for the help.

Winzip

When you plug in the Ethernet patch cord from the MINI to the router do you get a "link" indication? Does the LED lite? If not, you may have a bad cord or interface. If that works, then try using the Network Utility to PING the router, and/or other IP addresses like DNS 4.2.2.2 for connectivity. Since you are optioned for DHCP, do you get an assignment of all the needed items from the router?

Network Utility is a very useful program for troubleshooting network issues, provided you know how to use it and understand the results. I use it all the time.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back