Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet sharing!!!pls help very urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forri

Programmer
Oct 29, 2003
MT
hi all

i want to share internet from my Linux Redhat 9 os! can anyone tell me step by step how to set it up and share internet with other computers!

thanks
nic

Nic, you didn't tell us what networking method you connect to the internet, so that's strike one against a complete solution.

You need to implement a local network and you need to use NAT services to allow other clients to reach the Internet. Your linux box will be a gateway for them (it can use the internet too as a gateway for itself)

load this firewall and tell it how you connect to the Internet

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

yes your right! i have a ADSL Connection Pro so i don't need PPP connection! just a link! the linux machine has internet no probs but i don't know how to share it!

The linux machine has two nic cards where eth0 is the Network Link and eth1 is the ADSL Link!

Thanks

You have a couple options. You can setup network where the linux box is the gateway or you can buy a hardware router to use as the gateway. If you use the linux box as the gateway, you will need to learn how to configure iptables to do this. If you buy a router you just set your browser to the router's lan ip and go through the setup process. Most low cost routers will let you connect 4 computers to it and another port for connecting to the modem. If you don't go with the router, you will need to buy a hub. A hub looks like a router but does not have all the software/firmware the router has. You would hook it up just like you do the router except you do not connect it to the modem. You connect it to the eth1 interface on the linux box then connect eth0 to the modem. Once you are at this point, let us know which configuration you have THEN we will be able to step you through the rest. I just took a look a firewall-jay's little diddy and it looks like it will take the frustration out of manually seting up iptables. I had problems with both links though. The first is a typo and the second is correct but it sent me to a search page. I went to sourceforge.net then did a search there for "firewall" and firewall-jay was about second or third on the list.

hi thanks once again! i already have everything set up! i have a PC which acts as a gateway (which has linux installed now) and have another 4 pc (all windows).

I'm using jays firewall too but i can't get it to work! when i try to access the internet from a windows pc nothng happens! on the other hand when i open outlook express on the windows pc email passes thru but no http stuff! whats wrng!

another thing is that if i turn off the jay's firewall then nothing works on the windows pc! there fore i'm asuming that i'm doing something wrong on the jays config file or the windows browser settings!

pls help me out on this! by the way i've also installed (before jays) squid but found it to complicated so it could also be that squid is interfereing...how do i unistall!

as u might have noticed i'm very new on linux!
Thanks
nick

You need to make sure that

1) Your linux firewall has an internal network route available to your Windows PCs and
2) That you Windows PC's know to talk to your Router as their default gateway.

If you properly setup a DHCP server on your firewall and configure the Windows machines to DHCP, you should sort this all out automagically.

SLEPINIR214, thanks for the typo help!

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

it should be setup to allow all outbound traffic by default so I think thedaver is right on the mark. Make sure that all your win boxes are configured so that both gateway and dns servers are pointing to the gateway's lan ip address. The reason you point dns to the gateway is because the dns servers are on the outside and the win boxes will never find them unless they go through the gateway.

yes i did that! i did not check it with DHCP so i'll give it a try but i'll prefer if they have a static ip! Thanks

I installed squid on the linux-machine and told my win-client to use the linux-pc as proxy.

This worked pretty well.

(I didn't do anything with firewalls - is a different thread - isn't it? Of course the linux-machine has restrictions on using services, protocols and ports, and the win-machine too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back