Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Sharing available only for 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

accuransx

Programmer
Sep 23, 2000
MY
I've tried both ICS and NAT but still i can browse about 5-10 minutes and after that even though I've been connected, i cant ping or browse. Please help

Hello,
A better description of your setup would really help to determine what is happening. Such as are you at a station trying to get to the net or at the server? Is this a new server or station on the network? Did it work before? Does you ISP drop an IP lease after several minutes of inactivity? When you are dropped next go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /release and enter then type ipconfig /renew and enter. Now try the internet connection again without restarting. If your in your ip address is probably being dropped. When you are connected does the performance appear normal? Do you have a fire wall in place?
If you are testing and are direct cabled via parallel there is a bug that can cause a connection to drop and that can be fixed with service pack 2.
You may also want to read the last article on this page and see if it rings a bell.
thread96-84433 Good luck

Ok this is my settings:
I setup a 2000 server named 'BADANG' and assigned fixed IP of 192.168.0.1 This is the only server in my domain named 'denaisolutions' (meanwhile, is it ok to use domain names without .somethin?...)

Everythin running fine util i configure ICS or NAT. Either one, i'll get 'Your DNS Proxy Agent cannot bind to IP Address 192.168.0.1...bla..bla...and ask me to check my IP. I'm very sure of my NIC IP and it is correct cause when i nslookup badang, it's ok.

If i restart my server, i can log-in to the internet using my ISDN (serial B) modem easily but for 10 - 20 minutes. After that even if i re-connect, i cant ping, browse or any. If I'm lucky i can browse but at a very slllooo I double click internet icons on taskbar i see error keep counting up on received side but there is activity and my browser tells Web site found. Waiting for reply...but after timeout i get blank page or DNS error.

I think that since you have a domain, and HAD installed ICS during this time, something may have gone whacked. Try service packs. If you have two nics look in Network & Dialup Conn. under Tools - Advanced View ... make sure your first IP address is on top, and that you do not have WINS bound... Go back and set up NAT and follow the steps that you can find in Technet. Try running NETDIAG (from the support tools) before and after the problem, it makes and overwrites the log in c:\netdiag.log (or txt).
Use DNS forwarding and point your workstations only to your server... do you have group policies in place?

Honestly, don't put ICS on a domain controller. Also, try another ISP with the same config that the ISDN failed... perhaps use a different modem, use different cables, reseat those connections, run an antivirus.... ...

If you're running a DHCP server, disable (with ICS) it. Remove it from the active directory. Check if ICS works now OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back