Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Settings Keep Changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squiggy

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
US
Why does my Internet Settings Keep changing.Everytime i restart or shutdown my default connection in the connections page in internet properties goes from [always dial my default connection] to [never dial a connection].Ihave been going nuts trying to figure it out,my anti-virus has been updated,my computer updates is up to date,I believe i have IE 5.5.the only thing i can think of is the registry might be corrupt.

Any Help would be cool!!!!

Squiggy.

squiggy

The following was excerpted from in response to "My dialup settings keep changing from 'never dial' to 'always dial' or 'always dial' to 'never dial"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A third party programme is resetting your dial up connection. Do a complete inventory of anything that is internet related or which may require a connection and disable all.

Also go to and download AdAware. Get the latest signature as well then run it over your system - see if there is any spyware that may be wanting to dial home.

Also, some ISP supplied connectoids (IBM being one) insist on specific settings. In such cases there is nothing you can do.

A while ago a spyware programme called Tsadbot.exe caused exactly this problem.

This is known to happen if you are using Norton Anti-Virus with the Auto-Protect turned on. If this applies to you, turn off the Auto-protect and set it to scan program files only.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

smitee

Thanx Smitee,but wouldn't you know it turned out to be my lexmark z32 printer drivers!!.now i know why a fresh intall to a new hard drive didn't clear up the problem,it seems to be cleared up,even tried restarting and shutting it down a couple of times,the setting didn't change.the drivers are the most recent update,so i wonder if i should report this as a bug!!!!

Thanx again!!!!

Squiggy.

Squiggy

aplologies for not speeling your handle right...I have to learn how to Preview post first....:~/

Tanx again,Smitee
I think i will uninstall my lexmark drivers and go back to my canon printer! and also do you know where i can find drivers for my ide controller,i tried the intel site but could not find anything,my mobo is a retired intel WL810E.

any info would be cool!!!!

Squiggy.

To whom ever reads this meassage.

My dial up connection programe has stoped rembering my password. The "Save passwrod" and "connect automatically" functions and their boxes are shadowed, not giving Me (not the programme, actually Me the person writing, har-har) the option to click them.

Also one of my dial up ISPS will not connect, I am using a secondary at the moment.

I am suspicious that I have a virus which may save a password and not allow me to dial with my password.

Or more likely, I have had a software crash because it all started happening when I had to alt-ctrl-delete while the modem was running at maximum capacity downloading
(4.5-5.kps on a free ISP.

However it has been a deteriorating programe anyway, i belive the "savepassword function" was unhiglited before that happened and both went unhiglleted after.

Unhopeful of my correct conclusion, I diagnose a hacker repeatedly, but not so as i might notice it, crash my computer and giving me no choice to reboot, when i do he uses the time while i turn off the computer to somehow change my password.

Any situation means i probabaly need a software reload.
Can you please tell me how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back