Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet security

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDaveM

Vendor
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have a client who has W2K Server, 12 Win98 clients, connected thru a 100/10 hub. Also, they have just attached to a partial T1 internet connection, which comes thru a telephone company box directly to a port on the hub. They are a 24/7 hook up. My question is what do I need to do to make the internet connection secure? What kind of equipment is needed to secure this network from outside hackers?
Thanks,
Dave

You need a firewall, and right away too. Windows 98 machines will be hacked. I can give you a demo if you email me. The most important thing you should do NOW is to disable file sharing on the 98 machines at once otherwise you will be hacked.

I suspect you have some sort of NAT being provided because I'm not sure how all these machines are sharing the connection, probably internet connection sharing enabled?

Tom,
I unhooked the cable from the inyerner at the hub. Need your email addy.
Dave

Tom,
I unhooked the cable from the inyerner at the hub. Need your email addy. Explain NAT to me
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back