Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshankarg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
AU
Hi guys,

I have a installed windows 2003 server on a system with two Ethernet Adapters. One of the ethernet adapter connects to a Cable modem through a small switch. The other connects to a LAN. I want to share the Internet with the LAN. I have tried sharing the Internet connection, but it is very slow. I have assigned Static IPs for my LAN, but my cable modem gives me a dynamic IP. My internet on the LAN is very slow. Can anyone give me better ideas on how to improve the speed.

Pickup a LinkSys router (about $80-$100) and use that to provide the router functions. If you need to allow people to connect to a web server running on the 2k3 server the router will support NAT to make this happen.

Other brands of home routers will work for this as well. I just happen to use LinkSys.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Thanks for the reply. I am not in a position to buy any more additional hardware. Can I use RRAS to do this job. Do I need to enable DHCP, DNS and WINS for using RRAS.

question: do you have an old pentium pc ? with a cd rom ?
fit two network cards to it,
goto and get the free smoothwall firewall....

burn the image to a cd, follow the installation instructions, then plug the red card into the cable modem, and the other into the LAN, set up the green adapter as your gateway on all your workstations and away you go....

i've done it several times, works great, easy as pie and won't hog the bandwidth of your connection....

hope this helps

J.

=======================================
I know i've got it backed up somewhere!

Thanks for the reply. I have an AMD system with 2 NIC in it. I have already setup Windows 2003 Server up and running on it. But if I want to install Smoothwall firewall, then I would have to reinstall Windows again. Isnt it?

no, you keep your existing system, just build a new pc with two nic's in, then install smoothwall on it, then use the lan ip address of the firewall as your default gateway, then reconfigure your DNS if needed, and away you go !!!!

J.

I know i've got it backed up somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back