Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet / Network Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9d

Technical User
Jan 6, 2005
US
Machine: Gateway / Intel Pentium III
Software: Windows XP (Home) SP2

Problem: After working on it for a few weeks, it decided to stop connecting to the internet/network.

Failed Attempts: Looking at Network Connections I found that there are two "Local Area Connections" one is connected, one isnt. I have gone in and unchecked and disable the second connection that wasn't connected. Windows will not use the connection that is shown as working. Using the command prompt I can ping and trace yahoo, but Windows will not use network connection no matter what I try.

I am open to suggestions. Cheers.

Start, Run, cmd

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset catalog

Wait for the prompt that a restart is requred.
Restart the computer. Test.

I am *attempting* to connect to the internet using a network connection through our office server, which runs an internet connection through a router and switch. I have restarted the modem, router, switch, and server - still no luck.

I have used system restore to get back my settings from last week - and I am now seeing my connection restored, but now I am going to have to retrace my steps - all this started because of some Windows updates and a Norton's update. Something didn't jive, and hopefully I wont see an problems this time around.

I would have suggested "uninstalling" the driver for the network device.. then reinstalling the driver after a restart.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back