Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Mail service not sending email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaidi

MIS
Feb 27, 2003
US
Everyday when I get to work, my co-workers email me and tell me that the outgoing email is in fact "NOT" going out.
So I go down the "services" on the server and "stop" the "internet mail service" in the "services" area, once stopped, I then re-start the internet mail service. That seem to fix it. Is there anyway to trouble shoot this problem so I may fix it.

Thanks in advance
Gaidi
Finnie@mopa.org

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. You may be getting "SPAM JAMMED" as I call it. Check your Queues Tab in the Internet Mail Services in your Exchange Administrator. Chances are, you have hundereds, maybe even thousands of repley's queues ready to be sent. This will clog your mail server and cause it to halt. There is a way to stop all reply's to the internet. Let me know if this is your problem and I will post the solution. Good Luck!

This happened to us recently. If you document all your Internet Connector (MSExchangeIMC) information, delete the connector, and readd it. Stop all your services & then reboot the server. It will help fix the problem your having. If you can, do this during non-business hours.

Good-Luck, Steve

Restarting the service didn't even help me out with the same problem. We can SEND internally, but NOT externally. And we can recieve internally AND externally.

Wait, I can't see the queue log, but in event viewer it says I have 25000 outbound e-mails. I only have 10 e-mail users. Help me out here folks. Please?

I just had this problem today!!! and you just need to go into the ISM and delete all the messages do this a few times and restart the ISM again....

If I had 10 users and 25000 outbound emails, I'd double-check for a virus infected user.

I'm thinking open Relay, but being that I am not usually working with Exchange (I'm a programmer) I'm not sure where to look for that. Any suggestions Greenage?

I would guess Open Relay also. There are lots of sites that will test it for you (just search for Open Relay on Google or Yahoo). You can also test yourself by starting a telnet session to port 25 of the server and issuing smtp commands manually.

If it is open relay search Microsofts technet site for instructions on how to close (not hard). You can also find the instructions for issuing the SMTP commands to test there.

I had the same problem a few months ago and made these changes.
Under the routing tab in internet mail service properties
check reroute incoming smtp mail, in that box type in your e-mail address (ex. hotmail.com, yahoo.com) what ever domain you relay for, and make sure that they are route to inbound. then click on the routing restrictions button and check host and clients with these ip addresses and leave that box blank, but checked. This will kind of trick the e-mail to forward to nowhere. After making these changes you need to restart the IMS service. I've made these changes a few months ago and everything seems to be "OK". I go into the que from time to time and need to delete a few here and there, but it my mail is still working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back