Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Mail Service and X400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2001
GB
I'm new to Exchange and have made a monumental cockup.

We have a Exchange 5.5 server that doesn't have a direct connection to the internet but does route mail though another exchange server (X400 connection) out on the whole wide world.

I installed internet mail service on the non-internet server so that the local intranet could send smtp to the exchange server, but as soon as that wasa working everything that is for the internet is now being queued on that server and not forward to the other exchange server with the internet connection.

Can someone tell me what I need to change on the Internet Mail service to forward outbound external emails to the internet connected exchange server, as I now have over 700 message waiting to be sent.

Is not a pretty solution, but may be helpful.
In your network must have a SMTP connector besides the x400 connector.
If you configure your IMS to forward all messages to the SMTP connector, the queued messages at IMS will go to internet.

I have another problem that it seems yours.
I have two connectors: a x400 to deliver internal (world wide) messages and a IMS to internet.
But if the IMS queue is full, some internet messages will go to x400 connector.
It isn't a serious problem because anyway the messages will be delivered, after a long travel.

One of these things may work.
On the remote IMS, change the address space from * to *.*
Restart both IMS's and MTA's

If that alone doesn't work, try changing the local IMS to Forward to HOst on the Connections tab, and put the IP address of the remote IMS. Restart IMS.

If that doesn't work, try putting 127.0.0.1 for that address. It will try to deliver to itself, and hopefully see the better address space at that point and send the mail over the X400 connector (or it may just create a loop, which might be a real pain in the butt).

Last idea is to stop the local IMS, copy the contents of imcdata\out across the network to the other server, and paste them into imcdata\out on that server.

Once you get this cleared up, the key to getting mail to the other IMS is the address space. The closer it is to a "real" address, the more the MTA will like it. *.* beats * or a blank. You can also put the cost on the local one to 100.

Thnaks for all the posts and a few other people have also offered similar solutions. I will try them on Monday to see how I get on.

Thanks again
Damocles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back