Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet mail not replicating to new exchange 2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz101

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I'm doing a 5.5 to 2000 upgrade and have both servers running in the same domain/organization (small environment here). They were running fine, and for testing I moved only my mailbox to the new server for a few days (using the AD move mailbox method). So, yesterday I moved almost all the rest of my users and everything still seemed to be fine. Internet mail still comes into the 5.5 server, and replicates to the 2000 server.
Today I come in and no on is receiving Internet mail. Theres a spamfilter where I can see mail come in and get passed to Exchange without any problems - working as it always has. But for some reason, it never reaches our mailboxes on the 2000 server.
I've checked the event logs and found nothing out of the ordinary, and haven't made any configuration changes since things were working yesterday (other than moving mailboxes)

I can't take the 5.5 server down quite yet as there are two mailboxes that can't be moved right away.

If I switch smtp mail to go straight to my 2000 server, will those two 5.5-based mailboxes get their mail?
Where is all the email thats been coming in successfully but never reaches users mailboxes?

ANY help would be appreciated, as I'm drawing a blank and the clock is ticking

So I rebooted the 5.5 server and everything came through. I have no idea what was happening, but its working again.

Any ideas on some service that may have crashed or gotten hung? What is it that controls the communication between the two exchange servers? Like I said, there was nothing strange in the event logs.

Sorry for the Urgent post, we're pretty email dependent and I had no idea what was wrong.

See faq858-3483

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back