Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet mail address

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilFairlane

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Howzit!!

We have some mail-in databases for mail that is sent from our web site.

The problem is that when the users reply to the mail their personal email address is shown.
eg "sent by joe.bloggs@org.com" instead of "webmail@org.com"

Is it possible to change this so that whoever sends an email from that mail-in database can remain anonymous.

I have created new location douments, with different internet mail addresses, changed the mail file to the mail database and in preferences changed the owner to webmail but when I select the location it is asking for the users password as it is still using the users id.

I believe that mail-in databases don't have user id's.

I would imagine that loads of people send mail as webmaster and there must be an easy way of doing this.

Any help would be truly appreciated and if i get a promotion the drinks will be on me :cool:

Many Thanks

Phil

You should not reply to mail inside a mail-in database! Their purpose is to receive mail only. Your problem is caused because the user (replying to mail) is not the owner of the mail-in database and there is no ID. Here's what you should do: Create a new person record, not a mail-in record. Give the ID and password to the users needing to respond to these mails. The user should also make a new location document, on their workspace, and then just switch to that location and ID when responding to the emails. So for webmaster@ your user would switch to webmaster location and enter the webmaster password then open the mail database and respond to the emails. webmaster@ will then go out on the sent message. I would also warn about putting mailto:[emailaddress] on HTML web pages - you will get swampted with SPAM. Better to have the user complete a form and look at those postings instead of emails.
Good Luck

Would it not be possible to modify the Memo form to include a "From" Field the same as you can include a "SendTo" and "Body" field to create an email? I'm geuninely asking here, I don't know if this is possible, but it was only an idea. I'd quite like to know this myself!

Not really sure what you mean......

Edit the memo form so that the from field would say the name of the database and not the name of the user?

Yeah - open the mail-in datatbase in Designer, and make sure it's not inheriting from the Mail Database Template, and edit the form "Memo." Find the field "From" and edit the "Value" event to include something different.

I don't have a system I can test stuff like this on, at least not where I am now, so this is just speculation - back up before doing anything!

I know its been a while, but is this resolved now? I have a little new information if this is still an issue...

Hello

Thanks for your persistance :cool:

It has been decided that the only way around this problem is to do some development work and create a proper database that they can use to track the mail properly.

If you do have some more info it would be appreciated...

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back