Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Gateway on a win2k server box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noip

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
MU
Hi,

this may sound silly to ya guyz but I really don't know the answer.

Here goes:
I have 10 win9x/2kpro/xppro clients and 1 win2k server box. I have an ADSL modem connected to eth0 of the server and its eth1 (The server has infact 2 nics) is connected to the LAN of 10 clients. The server access the NET on eth0, I need internet connection on the clients also, do I need only to do some routing on the server for the clients to access the Net? I am planning to use eth1 as the gateway for the clients.

Thanks for any input!

I guess your plan is to give the server two ip addresses. This is not a good idea.

Rather do something like this...

ADSL Modem --> DSL Router ($60 US)
Server --> DSL Router
Clients --> HUB/Switch
Hub/Switch --> DSL Router

So it will look something like this:

DSL Modem -----> DSL Router Port 1
Server -----> DSL Router Port 2
Hub/Switch ----> DSL Router Port 3

Clients connected to Switch/Hub

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Thanks but I already have done the setup and the server will be used as an application server at a later time. I know it's not a cost effective solution but I only want to know if it can be done.

I'm sorry I think I have wrongly express myself, I need to know whether the client computers will be able to acces the NET thru the server only by doing some routing on the server.

If you only had like three clients, I would think your original design is OK. But with 10 clients and having the server act as an application server, I think you would be better off modifying your design and using a DSL router.

When using a DSL router, the router gets an IP address and that IP can be used as the default gateway. This gateway will lead the clients to the internet.

If you keep you current configuration, you will have to use the servers internal IP as the Default Gateway for your clients. Then configure routing on the server to allow traffic to continue to the internet. You can easily do this with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) but I've never performed this on a domain controller.

I really think you are going to have more problems leaving your server in this configuration. By a DSL router.

Somthing like this would be perfect:

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back