Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Exploror not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

meninblack

Technical User
Feb 13, 2004
GB
I have recently had to re-install Windows XP on my fathers PC. I have installed Service Pack 1.

The PC will dial-up but IExplorer just sits there with a blank screen and nothing in the address bar. Incredimail is doing the same, just sits there trying to connect.

Help!

Possibly a winsock problem. Download WinsockxpFix.exe from the below site and save this 1.4mb file to a diskette or CD on another Internet accessible computer, then run it on your Dad's computer. You can also find this program on other websites if you're concerned about the source of this download.

hello,

I have a similar problem to "meninblack".
however in the past i have used the "WinsockxpFix.exe" fix with great success.
this time after the fix i still just get the Res://c:\windows32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm displayed when i launch my browser Google.
I can ping my server OK though a 100%

any suggestions guys

brian

meninblack (TechnicalUser) 9 Sep 05 15:58
I have recently had to re-install Windows XP on my fathers PC. I have installed Service Pack 1.

The PC will dial-up but IExplorer just sits there with a blank screen and nothing in the address bar. Incredimail is doing the same, just sits there trying to connect.

Help!

BFOJ (MIS) 9 Sep 05 20:24
Possibly a winsock problem. Download WinsockxpFix.exe from the below site and save this 1.4mb file to a diskette or CD on another Internet accessible computer, then run it on your Dad's computer. You can also find this program on other websites if you're concerned about the source of this download.

Can we assume your anti-virus/adware/spyware is up-to-date and you have scanned and deleted all infections? You using a firewall? If so, check the firewall program control to see if these two programs may be blocked. If so, unblock them and try again. Or temporarily disable the firewall, then see if it works.

You may have a browser hijacker problem. I'd suggest running a program such as WinPatrol which you can download from or a number of other sites. It's freeware.

You may want to run a registry fix program on the computer. You can find several freeware ones on
If you're comfortable with 'regedit', you can check the settings of IE at
"My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" and see what your settings are for the Default URL's and Start and Search Page.

Check back, let us know how you made out or if you need further assistance.

Hello BFOJ,

thanks for the input.....my TCP/IP module works now after 3 frustrating days trying to get it to function.
Not sure really what i did to get it to work?? i do have
system mechanic though which has a registry fixer?
thanks for your input and the site suggestions to go to.

brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back