Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy888s

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
I know this isnt a hardware question, but this is the only forum i ever use and i know there are some bright people out there...anyways...

A guy I work with is using Internet Explorer 6 on a Windows XP machine. This morning suddenly, every time he clicks on a link, it closes his browser. Even if he types in an address in the address bar and hits ENTER, it closes the browser with no error message. I just looks like he hit the little x in the upper right corner. This makes using the internet a little inconvenient...haha. I tried to do a knowledge base search on microsoft and cant quite find the problem. I thought it may be a virus, but his Norton AntiVirus definitions are up to date and he appears clean. He didnt install any new software either that I know of. Any Ideas?

Try this download from Microsoft MS03-026 for windows XP, and the latest service patch for IE6, I had the same problem yesterday.

OK, Netscape works fine. He tried redownloading IE6 and reinstalled it with no luck. We finally got MS03-026 and that didnt fix it either. It was a fix to a security issue with windows. We had to get the file from a 3rd party source though because when we'd download it from the Microsoft Site, neither my computer (which is fine) nor his could install it. We get the message "WEUpdate cannot retrieve information needed for setup from database. Setup cannot continue." I'm pretty sure the 3rd party download site had the same file as microsoft's site, only all the files were included in the package so it didnt have to try to retrieve any information for extra downloading.

May be a virus or something else malicious.

Often a file can get corrupted.

Sometimes a DLL can be affected and cause all kind of damage.

I would definitely look for virus reports.

Sometimes on the Internet, you go to some website and it changes settings on your computer or changes file associations without your knowing about it.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Open a command promt and type each of these. Enter after each (of course).

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Yeah, i thought it may be a virus too as I said in my first post, but i'm almost positive it's not. Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition 8.0 is installed, up to date, and working fine. He uninstalled it and reinstalled it which should fix any DLLs or settings that may have been changed.

the regsvr32 dll's didnt do it either, but good thought.

Well, you really can't uninstall IE6 from Windows XP, so I would suggest that you try reregistering the dll's anyway.

If that doesn't help look in event viewer for any error information. Start, Run, eventvwr.msc

He did find an uninstaller for IE6...but, like you were saying smah, the stupid program is integrated so much into windows that you cant.

HIS SOLUTION!
Anyways, he found out that if you right click on a link and hit 'open in new window', that it will open the link in a new window very slowly....but it would work. So he did that a few times on different stuff. Eventually he tried to click with the left mouse button like normal again and it worked. So something must have reset itself or something. He didnt do anything else or make any other changes than what we tried before. So i dont know if there was a relation between what was done before and this...but it's working fine now.

stupid computers....we're all just a bunch of suckers as the stupid machines play games and laugh at us.

You could try running System File Checker at a command prompt. To see if any files are corrupted or gone.

SFC /Scannow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back