Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer vs. Netscape re: password protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lshippee

Technical User
Jul 19, 2000
US
I've put the code below in a page on my site per the instructions BEFORE the <HTML> tage on the page:

<%
pagePassword = &quot;<STRONG>cesaone</STRONG>&quot;
passwordForm = &quot;<STRONG>employeeswelcome.htm</STRONG>&quot;
IF Session(&quot;pwfield&quot;) <> pagePassword THEN
IF Request.Form(&quot;pwfield&quot;) = pagePassword THEN
Session(&quot;pwfield&quot;)= pagePassword
ELSE
Response.Redirect(passwordForm)
END IF
END IF
%>

It works beautifully in IE -- the page shows up with the form correctly in place, allows the password to be entered and retrieves the desired page; BUT not in Netscape. Instead of just the directions and form for entering the password, the code shows up at the start of the page and I can not retrieve the desired page after entering the password. I need it, obviously, to work in both. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Hi,

There is something I don't understand. Why does password need &quot;<strong>&quot; tag? Is it part of the password? If it is, I don't know why Netscpe doesn't work. It seems it jumps to Response.Redirect(passwordForm), by the way it didn't need strong tag either!
Try to find if Netscape is accepting cookies, if it isn't you can say goodbye to session variables. So enable cookies if you want to use session variables.

Regards,
Luís Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back