Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet explorer performed an illegal operation and will shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hildadube

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
CA
I have internet explorer 6 with windowns 98. I re downloaded 6 hoping to solve the problem which hasn't worked.
When I try to get onto internet explorer,I get a prompt that states an illegal operation has occured and the computer will shut down. When I shut this another prompt comes up that states and error hss occured in internet explorer and it will not close. If you continue to experience problems restart your computer. (to get on the internet I have to drag this message to the bottom) and then when I am on the internet, I cannot close programs, just minimize then).

I had a very similar problem where IE5 wouldn't run soI upgraded to IE6. This didn't solve the problem so I simply re-installed Win98 and then installed IE6.

Rob W

Sounds like WIn98 broken.
Try safe mode, run MSCONFIG and ensure EVERYTHING is disabled.
Also rename config.sys and autoexec.bat to config.old and autoexec.old
Also run sysedit and ensure load= and run= in WIN.INI are left blank.
Failing that, give Windows the 'F Word' (format!) and start again.

Try this: go to start menu / settings / control panel / add/remove programs.. select Microsoft internet explorer 6 sp1 and remove it..a dialogue box should come up with 3 choices.. you will want to do a repair on IE6..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back