Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithser

Technical User
Oct 5, 2002
IE
Hi,

Since I upgraded my laptop from ms2000 to XP my dial-up internet connection isn't working. It will connect to the ISP's network but when I try and browse to a website it keeps failing and coming up with the error 'can't find dns server'. When i do a 'ns lookup' it seems to be looking for the dns server from my work's network but there is no definitive dns settings applied for the dial-up connection i use. All the tcp/ip properties are set to dhcp and the dns settings are blank???

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Cheers
Paul

Have you tried deleting your previous Dial-up connection or adding a new one? have you checked your any proxy, firewall(ICF), DNS address(if not already automatic) or IE settings? Maybe an updated driver for your modem(doubtful)?

Let me know what you have tried and what you haven't. If you've checked some things once, do it again...maybe you missed something.

hope this gives you some ideas if you haven't already thought of them

Hey,

Yeh I've tried re-adding the dial-up connection and also tried a new connection to a different ISP but still no joy, the connection bypasses the proxy so it wouldn't have anything to do with that. I've also tried manually adding in the dns server addresses under the dial-up connection tcp/ip properties, didn't work and reverted back to automatic settings and still didn't work. I called the ISP who weren't much use, they said once i could connect to their servers and browse to an ip address it wasn't their problem.

Thanks for help on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back