Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer internal error

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunGuy

MIS
Sep 15, 1999
US
I am a network admin running NT 4.0, SP 6a. I have a workstation where MS Internet Explorer gives the following message when it tries to go to a website, "An internal error occurred in the Windows Internet extensions." I get this message for IP addresses or FQDNs. None of Microsoft's Knowledgebase stuff seems to cover this problem related to NT --lots on 95, 98, Me - but I got an NT shop. I have reinstalled TCP/IP, reinstalled NT, winsock is where it is supposed to be. In DOS, I can ping websites and get a response, so I think TCP/IP is working, and I can see other worstations on our intranet, so IPX is working. Nothing new was done to this workstation to start this problem, it just like started doing it all by itself. Any thoughts?

I've had this before and the way I've fixed it is to right click, properties the IE icon on the desktop, delete all temporary internet files including offline items, clear the history, then in Programs tab, reset web settings.

Hope it works as well for yourself.

Carty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back