Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Icon produces blank address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Launcelot

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
GB
I have a user with a number of Internet Explorer (v6) icons on the desktop. When an icon is invoked, IE opens with the address window blank. However, an IP address appears in the bottom destination panel. Eventually the search times out with the usual error message. At this point, the correct URL appears in the address window. Clicking on Go then results in the correct page appearing.

I wondered if the user has visited a site that has planted something nasty on his system (the virus checker is up to date).

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Geoff

Launcelot,

This is very common these days (see thread616-580979 for an example).

First build yourself a CD with the following as a minimum:-
Download LspFix
Download and expand StartUpList
Download SpyBot 1.2

Next, go to the users desktop. Open "Add/Remove Pro.." and look for anything strange like "NewDotNet". If you find any, remove them

Now install SpyBot on the workstation. Reboot. Next run SpyBot. Go into Settings>Settings>Web Update. Make sure that the first two boxes are set (Search.. and Download..). Go to FileSets and make sure that all the boxes are ticked (NewDotNet may NOT be found unless you do). Now, restart and run SpyBot.

It will, I'm sure find problems. Some items will be checked. Before you remove them, scroll down the list and look for "NewDotNet" and add a tick mark. Fix selected items.

If you still have problems, run StartUpList /complete and post the results.

Ian

Thanks for a prompt reply, mapleleaf.

The Company I work for is very reluctant to use the kind of software you've pointed me to, so I'll probably have to try some of it 'offline' first. I'll definitely post back when I've done some investigating.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

If you want to run "Startuplist /Complete" on the workstation and post it here, I can look at it and maybe give you some "ammo".

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back