Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Hangs Up using IE 5&6 and Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

mis25

MIS
Jul 16, 2001
US
I have a few users who are using Internet Explorer 5 & 6 whose links quit responding after they use Internet Explorer for a little while. You can close down the program and open it back up, it will work for a little while then it will quit working. It doesn't display an error message, it just freezes up and it will not open up another page. I have checked Internet explorer settings, restored config back to default, upgraded to Internet Explorer 6 all to no avail. If anybody knows of a way to fix this problem please let me know.

does IE freeze up on the same websites each time? or the same type of websites (i.e. flash enhanced, or some java/active x controls, etc) or does it seem to freeze at anything (from yahoo, to hotmail, to msn etc). Usually i find that a group of employees who all work together, visit the same sites, and same type of sites, and that is why you have several problems. Also, try increasing there internet cache, and see if they can browse for a longer period of time. Sometimes IE will freeze when the cache is filled to its limit. Also clear there temporary folders just to be sure. Remember, you have to do this logged in as them, or go to there documents and settings folder. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Had trouble posting a reply it never went through. Internet Explorer would freeze on any site. If you went to site and started clicking the links IE would quit working it would not pull up any page. DNS was fine and I could ping all the sites I wanted to go to just could not pull it up in the webbrowser. I cleaned all the temporary internet files, cookies and even deleted the users profile on the computer and recreated it. I think I may have the problem fixed, I read Microsoft article Q232484 and changed some of the settings in Internet Explorer and it seemed to start working correctly after that. Anyway I will keep my fingers crossed to make sure it has fixed the problem totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back