Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Freeze over DSL Reply 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveNY

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi all, I’m starting this thread because I’ve read many separate threads with the IE locking issue, and decided to post one reply, here!

I was having similar problems, IE would take about 15 seconds to launch, and would occasionally lock for around 30 seconds. My system is: WindowsME, IE 5.5 Sp2, Verizon DSL with a westell router and a Linksys Etherfast 10/100.

I noticed that during a lock, IP related apps (winipcfg) would not launch, however, if I was already in the process of a session related communication (large file download from a remote site) that communication process would continue. Also, during a lock the dialup connection icon in the systray would flash upload every few seconds.

First, I upgraded the Linksys driver which solved the IE initial launch delay.

Then I installed a Network Monitor and captured packets during a lock, and discovered the small upload packets were of type 8864 (PPPoE).

My monitor would not decipher any deeper, but, now I knew what to look for.

I found an excellent site with the solution!

DHCP!!!!!!!!

I removed DHCP and everything is zipping along nicely with no delays.

Follow this link …

I hope this helps.

Steve.

Hi Steve, I appreciate your posting. Have a similar problem here, IE freezes quite frequently and I am running it on an ADSL connection. When it freezes it just freezes forever, so I have to ctrl-alt-del and kill the task. Which is quite annoying.. I am using a Celeron 500 running win98 and IE 6.0.26 just for extra information. Do you have any clue?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Ket
ket1111@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back