Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer - Excel - Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezdread

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
GB
Hi, not sure which forum is best but I'll try this one.

I thought I remember Internet Explorer being able to open Word docs and Excel speadsheets within the browser window.

I have a web page using two frames, links in the top and info in the bottom. When I link to a Word doc and click the link I get a box appear asking me to save or open the file, whatever.doc when I select open the document opens in the lower frame which is what I want but I don't want to have to select between opening and saving... I tried un-checking the option to ask each time this file is selected but this made no difference. I've looked all the way through the Internet Explorer options and couldn't find anything in there.

When I click the link to an Excel spreadsheet the same box appears but I don't get the option to open it, only save it.

When I try it at work I don't get the box appear and the link opens the document in Word and the spreadsheet in Excel.

I'm trying it in IE 5 at work and the chances of us getting an upgrade this side of the next millenium is pretty slim. Is there a way that I can an easy way to open docs and spreadsheets in IE without having to go through the above? Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

anyone? Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

Yes, Ma'am.

This is a setting on your machine or in the html code of the web page.

If you go to and click on any of the non-TOE links, you'll see that they open a new window. That's 'cause I don't want people to leave my site and forget me! (Many do this, so don't be thinking it's just me.)

Now..on your PC, you can control it (unless it is otherwise controlled in the html), by:

Open Windows Explorer
Tools-Folder options
Hit the Files tab

For any given item, you can choose to browse in a new window. Check out the html ones first. Anne Troy

There are plugins for the web browser (don't know where they can be picked up, as they install automatically with Office XP) that allows the Word or Excel doc to show up in the browser window.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back