Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Crashing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naiku

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
Hello, a friend of mine has Win 98 SE and have told me that IE keep's crashing. I have told them to run an up to date virus scan but it has picked up nothing.

I think that it is a virus though, but not sure which. They have told me that they opened IE one day and a box came up telling them about a virus and to click on a link, since then IE has been crashing.

Anyone have any idea's what this could be? I am trying to figure out if it is a virus and if so which removal tool to send them.

Thanks.

naiku

It may not be a virus. Have you ran some spuware software on this box to make sure that something is not causing the crash.

Mike

Following up on itsisnofun's post, Ad-aware and Spybot are good freebie spyware removal programs.
But use them both, as one will sometimes detect spyware that the other one misses.

iexplore has been doing this and i think its a bug in the latest windows explorer. there are lots of complaints on the windows explorer site about this as well.
i started to get this as soon as i upgraded to 5.1

Upgraded? To 5.1?

At least get it to 5.5.
I run 6.0 (on 100s of 98 boxes) without problems.
Get full downloads of the older versions here:

or here

Re: the crashing. Download and run Hijack This! Post the log results (in their entirety) back here.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Thanks all, ran both ad-aware and spybot today on the PC (I thought they already had ad-aware but actually don't have it) between the 2 programs it picked up about 150 different items (mostly cookies but a few other bits too) and IE is now working fine again.

I left them with instructions to scan once a week with both programs.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear things are working smoothly, and thanks for posting back with what fixed it.

I recently had a similar problem. My virus software detective a virus. I quarrantined it. However, the files the virus was attached to was Kernel 32 which, as I understand it, affects the IE. Whenever I tried to get on IE I got an error message stating this. Two weeks later, and after many Norton Virus updates, Norton finally repaired this virus in my computer, but I still had the problem getting onto the IE. Whatever the repair was, it did not fix my Kernel 32 files. I had to use my recovery disk which reloaded my op system and IE as well. Now it all works ok.

I don't know what virus software you use, but Norton found my virus, even though it couldn't repair it right away. Even after it did, I still had to repair my files with my recovery disk.

I hope this helps.

donnajoe83,

Thanks for the valuable info on how you solved your IE problem. It will be very useful to others who get a virus.

However, naiku's problem was caused by spyware, which normally does not affect any core kernel files like a virus can, and thus should not require the O/S to be repaired, restored, or reinstalled.

I recently had a similar problem. My virus software detective a virus. I quarrantined it. However, the files the virus was attached to was Kernel 32 which, as I understand it, affects the IE. Whenever I tried to get on IE I got an error message stating this. Two weeks later, and after many Norton Virus updates, Norton finally repaired this virus in my computer, but I still had the problem getting onto the IE. Whatever the repair was, it did not fix my Kernel 32 files. I had to use my recovery disk which reloaded my op system and IE as well. Now it all works ok.

Response:
Hello could you post the repair that you used to resolved this problem. I'm having that problem now and haven't been able to correct it. After I get the fix will post back to let you know if it worked for me as well. Thanks.

My friends problem was spyware, not a virus (as I had first suspected) they are using McAfee AV (auto updates weekly) I Installed both ad-aware and spybot which cured the problem in about 5 minutes (time it took to scan the PC)

Actually this sort of thing just proves how valuable software like ad-aware has now become. Along with Anti-Virus and Firewall's it's a must have piece of software, which I would recommend that everyone should have (especially considering there are free versions of all software mentioned above available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back