Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer Browsing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanin247

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
US
To Whom It May Concern:

For some reason, when I type in a web address in the form " it relocates me to " No matter what address I type it does the same. However, if I type a web address in the form " it sends me to the correct site. I figured there was some kinda program that secretly installed in the background but I could not find it. I also tried increasing my security level but nothing changed. I even tried to block the address, but still nothing. Browsing will only work if properly if I type http:// before the address. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

kanin

ps - prior to the problem, two games were downloaded off Nickelodeon.com other than that, it worked fine before. I already uninstalled these games.

You probley have a internet browser hyjacker that change your settings. Try install ad-aware and updating its definitons then runing a full scan. Also spybot and spyblaster are other good anti spyware/hyjacking programs.

This may help:

Tools, Internet Options, Advanced then srcoll down to "Search from the address bar" and chose "Do not search from the address bar"

Maybe this will help.

thanks for your replies!

wirdo, so where can get ad-aware? i have "window washer" which cleans up most of the 'junk' on the computer. but that didn't help. will ad-aware actually resolve the problem or just prevent more from happening? also, if it changed my settings, how and where can i manually fix it?

MinnisotaFreezing, i tried your suggestion but it did not help my situation. thanks anyway. :)

any other suggestions? thanks!

kanin

JohnWilson, well I have tried upgrading IE (5.5 to 6.0) but it didn't change anything. I'll try your suggestion in uninstalling and reinstalling though and see what happens. Thanks!

kanin

Hi Kanin,

Try installing a 'Spyware' detection and removal such as Ad-aware.

Ad-aware is a free spyware/adware removal utility that scans your memory, registry, and hard drives for known offenders and lets you remove them safely. It also has built-in support for detecting and removing some of the more common browser hijackers.

You can download Ad-aware 6.0 at
(
Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back