Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer box model bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn6

Programmer
Nov 2, 2009
GB
This is a general question about this. If this only affects pre-IE6 versions of internet explorer if you're using standards-compliant mode (which you should be???) according to wikipedia (the source of all truth in the world) do we need to worry about it anymore.

I have not worried about this in the last 5 or more years of development. IE6 under standard-compliance mode has incorporated the correct box model and all future versions of IE use the correct box model as well. Whoever is still using IE5.5 or earlier, will not see the website correctly, but I don't think anyone needs to worry about that specific user group.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

I've had a list of questions from a prospective employer and it seems like no matter what I put down, they aren't happy with my knowledge of the subject.

The last email I sent back to them had a link to the wikipedia page, I don't really want to work for someone who gets so fraught over something which doesn't matter anymore :-S

Last IE version that is affected by the box model and needs workarounds to fix it is IE5.5, which was released in July 2000 and is no longer supported by Microsoft since end of 2005. It has since been superseded by 3 major versions. There is no need to support such a browser, unless the website is aimed at a specific sub-market of users using this particular browser (intranet in a company that is unwilling to upgrade to safer solutions).

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back