Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 9.08 Home Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoser337

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
CA
The "Home" icon in Internet Explorer command bar no loger takes me to my chosen home page (yahoo.com), unless I opened IE with that page being the first one during a session. If I open from a link, say ebay.com, and work in ebay for a while, then click the home icon, I get the ebay home page not my selected yahoo home page. Yahoo isn't even in the drop down box. This is true for any website being opened first. Also, often no home icon appears in the top bar (under the close/minimize buttons)...only favorites and tools (again, if I have started IE from a non-homepage link). This is Windows 7 professional. Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks!!

Linney...same deal in safe mode and the reset didn't help. This small thing can drive you crazy after 15 years of having a "home" button and then suddenly not. Thanks!

What do you get when pressing Alt+M?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Chris...it's the same as if I've clicked on the HOME button. :(

What version of IE are you using? Assuming an alternate browser functions normally?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

DrB0B...didn't try another browser. Hoping to fix this one. Thanks!

Was saying an alternate browser to make sure it wasnt a DNS or similar issue.

Immediately to the right of the "Home" button, there is a drop down menu, select "Add or change home page" then "Use this as the only home page."

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

DrB0b...I've set "use this as the only home page" many times, but it chooses the "home" page of whatever website I opened the Internet with, regardless of how many times I tell it otherwise. :( Like I said...driving me crazy. :p

Youve done it exactly the way I described it? Because in that location, you can have multiple "Home pages" that wont show on the Internet Options version. If so, then this is a fun one. Tried a registry cleaner, ie CCleaner in case its storing something funky? IE9 is a PITA IMO. I assume they patched a lot of the buggies since I used it when it first came out.

Have you tried linney's other suggestions to log into Windows under a different user account (create one if you have to), or launch IE with Add-ons disabled (Start -> Accessories -> System Tools)?

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Yes cdogg...no different as another user or with add-ons disabled.

As I look at this more, I believe this is happening whenever I open the Internet from a link I've pinned to the Task Bar by dragging the tab there (the W7 way). That initial opening becomes the home page until I close the Internet. It must be a W7 thing.

Are you up on Windows updates?

That's exactly what's going on. It's a Windows 7 thing. If you drag a tab to pin a site to the taskbar, that site becomes the home page while that session is active, no matter where you navigate to. Now, if I can find another way to put links on the task bar...

I believe this is happening whenever I open the Internet from a link I've pinned to the Task Bar

Yep, that appears to be the default behavior for pinned sites. The Home button (which now redirects to that site) along with other style features in the window are modified to match the pinned site's style.

You can see that in the video here:

More info here:

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

I don't believe you can pin different sites to your taskbar in Windows 7 without the default behavior, but one work around is to create a new toolbar. Then within that toolbar, you can copy any favorite or system shortcut you want.

I've done that myself to link to network folders, system utilities, and frequently used documents in addition to internet favorites. It's one additional click, but if done right doesn't take up much space and has the advantage of being accessible any time.

-Carl

cdogg...I'll have to check that out. Thanks for all the posts...and to everyone else, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back