Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
US
I purchased a new DELL computer with Windows Vista Home Premium just over a year ago, and now for some reason "Internet Explorer 7" has stopped working correctly. I can surf the net with no problem as long as I do not have to type in anything in a search box or login to any accounts. I have went to Microsoft website to download a copy and reinstall it, but there is not a version on their site for Vista. Please help....

Try the Reset button on the Advanced tab of Internet Options.

OK, when you did reset all the iternet options previously, did you get a confirmation that everything was reset or did nothing happen?

And by
as long as I do not have to type in anything in a search box or login to any accounts
, I assume that you mean any sort of input field in a web page form. What exactly happens when you do? - do the characters not display when you type them; do you get some sort of error message after you click the 'submit' button; or does something else happen?

I got a confirmation from the reset.

I can not even click in the input field, to type anything.

Are you using this machine (and IE7) to get into Tek-Tips, if so, are you able to type in the box for new posts and replies?

Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP

If you have System Restore points then using that may be an option.

You could try the System File Checker program.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7

Can't type in internet explorer
thread779-1302982

No I am using my work computer, because the only place I can type is the address bar.

I have cleared all forms and passwords with no luck.

I have tried to use a restore point but that did not help either.

I have also reset IE 7 with no luck.

OK this is important.
There is some software that conflict and cause issues with IE7.
Do you have any version of OmniPage installed? That seems to be a big issue with IE7.

some printer software are crashing the IE7 too

so look at the software you have installed and go from there

good luck

Are there any errors in your Event Viewer?

Does IE7 work from "Safe Mode With Networking", or from Normal Mode but as a different user?

Have you run some good anti-spyware and anti-virus software to check for malware?

You could try another browser such as Firefox to see if that works.

What repair and recovery options does your Dell have?

hey Linnney,
with the OmniPage issue IE7 does not work at all in any mode if OmniPage is the issue there is another piece of software that has the same issue with IE7 but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

From either the Start >> RUN or Windows key + R type: iexplore.exe -extoff and hit RETURN...

does the behavior change at all?

the above command starts IE without any add-ons or toolbars...

or as Linney mentioned switch to another Browser altogether, e.g. FireFox or Opera...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back