Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtonto

Technical User
Apr 18, 2005
GB
Does anybody know if I can burn a fully installable IE6 from my computer to give to a friend. He can't get it off the net as his computer has other problems but he is desperate to get IE6 on it.

My thanks in anticipation, Fox.

IE is not going to be a lot of use without an Internet connection.

You can get copies of various browser setup exe's (including IE6) from any of the free CD's attached to Computer Magazines.

Your friend can repair Windows and get IE that way (and perhaps an Internet connection too?).

Repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)

You can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

(where c: is your Windows drive).

You will need to have your XP CD available. If you re-install remember to update it.

Using SFC /Scannow at the command prompt will help in repairing IE.

You may even be able to salvage his original IE6 via this fix?

Internet Explorer Fix

But whatever you end up doing the likelihood is that any new IE will need some updates from Windows Updates too.

NBA Live 2003 and above have a fully installable IE6 in their installers.

i've found some ie installers here.

hope this helpes. peace! [peace]

kilroy [knight]
philippines

"Once a king, always a king. But being a knight is more than enough."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back