Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 6.0 will not search for basic URL address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skooter2

Technical User
Mar 2, 2004
US
This error has occurred on 2 PCs running XPP/SP2. When the URL is entered into the IE 6.0 address bar, the progress bar on the tray (bottom of screen) opens, one to four green bars appear(s) and then the message on the left side of the tool tray says "Done" However, the URL is not found unless one adds " with the URL. Restore did not work.

Both systems will find the home page without a problem, will immediately to go any links on web pages, but one cannot enter a URL without the " or as the address may require.

Thanks for any suggestions or fixes.

Check this registry entry. Start> Run> regedit.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ URL \ DefaultPrefix

Is the value set to http://

Tried the IEFix Utility?

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

i've been having the same sorts of problems with IE6 for a while now ... tried uninstalling and re-installing with no joy. but i just tried the IEFix Utility, and by George, at first blush it looks like it's worked ! Hooray !!

THx for the reference. (Where's it from?) You get a star!

Mikl

A bird in the hand makes typing difficult.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad it worked for Mickerry. It did not work for me. I did look at regedit -- the default settings appear to be correct -- and I check it against the settings of a PC whose IE6 is working correctly.

Any other ideas, anyone?

Skooter2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back