Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Explorer 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

burritonator

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2004
US
I need to install Internet Explorer 5.5, and several months ago, someone in one of the forums on this site directed me to a website that offered the full install packages for several older browsers. The computer on which I bookmarked the site (and stored the downloaded software) crashed, and I can't remember the name of the site. Can anyone tell me where I can download IE 5.5?

Thanks

I had located that file and tried it, but it doesn't work. The install fails with the message "unable to download components" or something to that effect. I've had that happen in the past when I tried to use the 500kb setup file. I assume that the failure is due to the fact that MS doesn't offer IE 5.5 for download any longer.

When I ran into this issue several months ago, someone directed to me to a site that had the full install package for IE 5.5, which worked since the installer didn't have to try to download anything from Microsoft.

The reason I need IE 5.5 in the first place is because I just reformatted the HD on one of our older PCs and reinstalled WinNT. The version of IE currently on the system is IE 3.02, which is too old to use the Windows Update website. I can't even properly navigate microsoft.com to try to download IE 6 manually. The way I'd gotten around this problem in the past is to install IE 5.5, and then use it to connect to the Windows Update website and download IE 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back