Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Disabled after infection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

G1Alex304

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2009
US
I just got rid of some type of malware infection "!@#$%security something" but now the user does not have Internet access. I can ping websites but IE doesnt work.

I can log into the "administrator" profile and IE works fine, but when I log into the "users" profile it doesnt work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Got it working....somehow proxy server settings were setup. I removed these setting and IE started working again.

Thanks!!!

Also a tip for future issues that you might find useful, when your internet messes up, if you are running Windows xp with sp2, or any os after that, you can type netsh winsock reset, and it will reset your connection.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

electronicsfreak,

Does that do the same as what happens when you uninstall and reinstall a network adapter, or as right-clicking the network connection and selecting repair?

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Nah, that is different from my knowledge. That just fixes the driver. This fixes your actually connection.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Interesting - if I could remember it, I'd actually use it one day. [wink]

--

Thanks for the FAQ link. I'll be sure to check that FAQ, the next time I lose a connection.... if I can connect to see it. [smile]

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back