Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet content filtering 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobTechy

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
I have a computer setup in a pubic area within the company which I only want to allow certain web sites to be accessed.

Currently I have a program I installed on the system that is doing the content filtering, but it can become a hassle for me. For one thing I have to log in to edit the allow list and I have to put the entire web page address rather then just the web domain name to accept any pages from that specific domain. Also sometimes the program does not load up correctly or maybe someone ends it and the filtering is disabled. Does any one know of any inexpensive solutions. I am running a windows dc server with about 50 systems on the lan but really for now want to block sites on one system.

Does this PC have direct access to the internet, or is it attached to a LAN?

In that case i'd suggest you get a package like squid
It is the package we use at our site, and although it does look slightly unwieldy (lots of config) it is very powerful, and you don't actually need to change a lot to get it to the state you want.

It even allows you to have access control, so that you give different users different amounts of sites they can access ... so you can give the public a username and password written on a poster on the wall that allows only limited access if you wanted.

the only downside in your current configuration is that the PC's concerned will have to not be able to connect to the internet directly (eg. via a NAT interface) ... this is a proxy server ... and if you want it to work with auto-detection you will have to put in a small amount of work on your DNS server.

I'm happy to help if you need it.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back