Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connelemction prob 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBlack

Technical User
Apr 17, 2007
US
First, a little background: I'm running an HP Desktop Elite 8000 with Windows 7 Professional

Recently, my D-Link wireless router decided to retire. I replaced it with a TP-Link 450mbs wireless N router and all was well until my D-Link wireless USB adapter card decided to do the same. I replaced that with a LinkSys dual-band wireless-AC USB adapter. Since then, I have been unable to connect to the Internet. Thinking it might be defective, I replaced it with the same model (#WUSB6300). Unfortunately, that adapter didn't work either. I tested my system for viruses, malware & rootkits with none found. All drivers are up to date. Device Manager shows no problems. Originally it could not find the adapter. I tried installing it on all nine of my USB ports. When it was finally located, I could only get limited access (basically no access). I ran as administrator the netsh winsock reset command and the netsh int ip reset reset.log hit both successfully; still no connectivity. Is this an ISP issue or computer issue? I'm baffled about the problem.

If this is posted in this posted in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Thank you in advance for any assistance with my problem,

Bob

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Bob B-)

Update the router firmware if there is any.

Check the wifi settings on your router. Specifically security settings.
Should be WPA2-PSK and AES or it might say WPA2 Personal and AES
Not AES + TKIP or TKIP alone

I would uninstall the software for the USB adapter then remove it (from control panel). Then look at Device Manager (viewing hidden devices) and remove all instances of it. Reboot. Download latest software from the internet - don't use the CD that came with it. Reinstall by running the installer first and then inserting the device when asked.

To eliminate the router/modem/internet connection. Use an ethernet cable and plug into your modem or gateway. You must restart the gateway before plugging in the new computer. Then when you go to plug the router into the modem, you have to restart again. Most modems/gateways will NOT give out an ip address to a new device until restarted!!!!!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

This is a duplicate thread from TCP/IP. Not an issue but causes duplication of effort.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Pardon my lateness for responding for help that I really need. Irma gave me a lot of work to clear uprooted trees and repair all that I could. I've installed a TP_Link wireless N router (model no. TL-WR9040N) and a wireless dual band PCI express adapter (model no. TL-WDN4800). I also downloaded the driver for the adapter directly from TP-LINK website. The adapter seems to be connected properly as it has a blinking green light. Alas none of this has given me Internet connection. I have a small laptop that connects to the Internet so I’m leaning more toward either an ISP or more probably a computer issue. I have tried running in an elevated command prompt: netsh Winsock reset and netsh int ip reset reset. log hit to no avail. Running network troubleshooting I get the following dialog box:

An error occurred while troublingshooting.
An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can’t continue.
PackageID: NetworkDiagnostics
Path: C:windows\diagnostics\system\networking
Error code: 0x8007002
Source: Engine
User: Bob-PC\Bob
Context: Restricted
I get this same error code on any troublesholoting I do.
I also ran sfc scannow and chkdsk /f & r.
Should I try to do a repair install or is there an easier solution to rectify this problem? I don’t think asking it to go to last good configuration would work but then again, it probably can't hurt.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Bob

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Bob B-)

Wait - a laptop works with your new router and your internet connection but the HP desktop does NOT?
There's no real "repair install" for Windows 7 as there was with Windows XP.

Give us the results of ipconfig /all from an elevated command prompt

Then if you want to skip ahead, the results of ping "router ip address" like ping 192.168.1.1

For reference, here's the other thread edfair mentioned (yes, definitely a duplicate posting by the OP):
thread581-1778815

SirBlack (OP), for simplicity sake, please keep the discussion going here rather than going back and forth.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

The results of ipconfig /all are:

Host Name: Bob-PC
Primary Dns Suffix: (Blank)
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
Win Proxy Enabled: No

Ping Statistics: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Loss = 4 (100% Loss)

Thanks again for any help you can give me.
Bob

Bob B-)

For the USB Wifi adapter, I didn't notice if mentioned: Have you tried the Wifi adapter on a different computer?

Also, have you tried other drivers just to see? For instance, I found where some folks using the exact same adapter on a Windows 10 setup ended up getting it to work with the Vista drives.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

You aren't connected to the router if you have no ip address listed and the pings don't work.
Look in Device Manager to see if the adapter is installed and functioning.

Device Manager lists the TP-Link Wireless adapter & under properties, it states the device is working properly.

Bob B-)

Try with a different computer: That's THE easiest way to narrow down between device/peripheral and the computer/software. If nothing else, try with your laptop and of course disable the onboard wifi for testing the USB wifi.

^^^^ Good advice ^^^^ Verify the internet/router with the laptop wifi but...............
the latest adapter is NOT a USB, it's a PCI-E.

So, we have a USB adapter not working (WUSB6300) and a PCI-E adapter not working (TL-WDN4800) on the desktop.
If the laptop works with its built-in wifi card and then you try the WUSB6300 in the laptop (with built-in disabled), then we have to conclude that router/internet is ok and the problem is with the desktop.

You could try booting the desktop with Ubuntu on a memory stick and see if the PCI-E card will work in the desktop. That will isolate the problem to the operating system.

OP said:
and a wireless dual band PCI express adapter (model no. TL-WDN4800).
goombawaho said:
the latest adapter is NOT a USB, it's a PCI-E.
Whoops! I missed that one for sure. But still good to test the original USB adapter.

Another thing to check: Software, particularly Software firewalls and similar. If you accidentally click the wrong checkbox in some of them, you'll block Internet access altogether.

And I guess it's worth checking to make sure the new Router isn't somehow blocking the connection? I'm guessing that's not the case, b/c you'd probably see a more telling message at the Windows desktop.

What I'd check on the router is make sure there's nothing going on with MAC Address filtering particularly. You can allow/block specific computers that way. I doubt it's the issue, but at this point, I'd consider checking it.

Again, pardon the lateness in replying to your posts. I booted up the desktop with Ubuntu & it had no problem connecting to the Internet. I had 2 more laptops come in (one running Windows 7 Home Premium, the other running Windows 7 Professional) and both had no problem connecting to Internet. I have to assume that the problem lies on my computer. I have an OS disk for Win 7 Professional and enough free space on a slave drive to copy files to it. Unless somebody has a different way to clear this up, I'll probably clean out the Master drive & reinstall the OS. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, I have a new icon on my task bar. It shows the connection to the router but only a transmit rate of 11 Mbps.

Bob B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back