Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connectivity Problem, DHCP vs. Static

Status
Not open for further replies.

DShirleySB

Instructor
Dec 8, 2002
US
Hello.

I am not a tech but sometimes have to work as one.

We have computers ranging from Pentiums to Pentium 4 running Win 95, Win 98, and Win 2000.

Basically, if we use static IP addresses, 198.189.40.xxx we don't have Internet or e-mail problems.

If we use DHCP addresses, 10.2.16.xxx, we cannot access most e-mail sites, i.e. AOL, Hot Mail. I tried using DHCP on one Win 95 machine and could not access the Netscape site. I switched to static and the problems went away.

One really screwy item that messes up the above information is that we have one person with a local provider and e-mail, Sunset Net, that can be accessed from both DHCP and static machines.

Please advise any suggestions.

1. u need 2 check settings on the dhcp server "scope options"

2. u might need a wins server 4 98 and below.

3. make shure u have routers 2 split networks if u have serveral. (1 router / subnet)

Check your scope options and see that the DNS is set correctly. Also check to see that the default gateway is also there.

Also, add the option to set the client in H-type for node type. This will allow the clients to query DNS/WINS first and then broadcast if they get no response from DNS/WINS. If they broadcast for DNS/WINS resolution they will get nothing and will not go anywhere.

If DNS is not an added as an option under the DHCP scope, then the settings you manually (static) configured in the TCP/IP properties should remain in effect...unless you deleted them.

The node type however will not be a H-type unless you set the scope option.

bob

I know what I know and that's all I know.

Thank you for the input. I have passed the information on to our District Tech and we'll see if your suggestions work.

I will advise if the problem is solved.

Thanks again.

DAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back