Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connectivity not up to par

Status
Not open for further replies.

tperk3

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US
Have three computers on same home work group, all running XP Pro, connected to DLink router and Motorola cable modem. Only one computer (my "main" one of course) does not connect reliably to the Internet.

Will be navigating through multiple web site pages and then suddenly will get "waiting for reply" and timeout.

Or Outlook window frequently pops up asking me to confirm password for a particular email account.

Or my personal financial software has to download the same account data multiple times before it gets it right.

I upgraded from IE7 to IE8 but that made no difference. I have "repaired" network connection to no avail.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Tom P

Are all three computers set to obtain dynamic IP Addresses from the router? Check that all are set up the same.

Try setting the "main" machine to a static IP Address, and make sure you include the ISP's DNS server addresses as well.

Does it make any difference if the other two machines are switched off?

Have you tried disabling some/all of the Browser add-ons?

Might be worth checking for viruses, spyware, malware etc., if you've not already done so.

You didn't mention the model number of the D-Link - are all machines cabled to the router, or are some using wireless?

If cabled, try plugging the problem machine into a different router port.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

GOA.....The network configuration has been running fine for years with all computers obtaining dynamic addresses.

The Dlink is DL-524

Makes no diff if all other computers are off.

Have disabled all add-on's. Even installed IE8 over IE7

Spyware Adware is not the problem.

also have re-installed NIC driver.

Tom P in Virginia Beach, VA

May have a flakey switchport or NIC.

Have you tried moving your connection to another port on the switch?
If switch is full, try swapping ports to see if the problem 'moves'.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks Dearing....OK. have switched to another port . NIC is built into mother board. Let's just see how it runs now.

Tom P in Virginia Beach, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back