Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanmad

Technical User
Jan 8, 2004
GB
Hi

I am trying to connect two pcs together, which works OK. I have put the two PC's into a small network. I am able to browse the other PC via Windows Explorer, I am now trying to set up a internet connection on the second PC using the first PCs internet connection. I have configured the TCP-IP setting on the second PC with the default gateway of the first PC, when I open internet explorer all I get is page cannot be displayed as if there is no connection.
I am able to map drives on the first PC OK, and browse the first PC, but not get an internet connection on the second PC.
I have also used the first PC IP address as proxy settings and automatically detect settings, both with the same results, no internet connection.
Is there anything that I am missing or have over looked.
Thanks
Tim

Did you enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the first PC? If so, you should leave the network cards on DHCP. If not, you have to set up ICS first.

use some proxy software like spoon proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back