Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJOE

Programmer
Jul 12, 2003
US
Hey guy, i need help
I have a domain controller, windows 2000 server, also acting as the DNS and DHCP server, I need to connect the non routed computers to the internet. If i ping my private internet it is working, but if i ping the internet it doesnt not find it. I tried routing and remote services and it didnt work, when i enable it it doesnt work, even the internet on the host computer would stop working. OK i can log to the network and see the files, but i cant get outside of that, is there any setting that i missed in dns or dhcp. Also, i have winroute and i was trying to use the NAT feature in it, but no luck. Please help, and thanks in advance!!

ohh,
I have 2 NIC cards one connected to the dsl router with a static ip address. and the other has the static ip address of the private network.

When you enabled RRAS, did both the cards have Default Gateways? If so, only the Interface connected to the Internet should have one.
When you enable RRAS, set up NAT, and add a static route with dest 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 on the Internal Interface....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Tks for the reply!!
yeah i dis have the default gateways as u said. I added the static route but still nothing. when i enable the RRAS i still cant access the interenet on the host computer, i have to disable it for me get online again.

If you are running a DNS server did you make sure that in the DNS snap in, you set the properties of the server to include the ip address of you service providers dns server, in the forwarders tab,
otherwize clients on your network useing your intreanal DNS will not be able to resolve domain names of computers on the internet, unless there is a record for it in your dns server

When it is enabled, are you able to ping Internet IPs? Try to ping 66.218.71.298. If you can ping this, then it is a DNS issue, as Happy said. If not, our problem lies elsewhere...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

thank you guys, that was the problem, tks alot!!!

Just to make sure, MATTWRAY, on the static route, what gateway should be used? I am assuming the LAN Connection Interface address or 192.168.1.1 just want to be sure as we all know what happens when one assumes...........

Thanks

No, you add the static route to the Internal Interface. The gateway is the External Interface, as that is the one connected to the Internet....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back