Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

knaya

MIS
Dec 4, 2003
US
this is driving me crazy.. pleaseee helpp.. i'm trying to share an internet connection but it aint working.. when the cable from the host p.c is connected to the client (a friends p.c), it works and everything is fine but when i connect the cable to my p.c (as the client), the flikkering lights dont even come on, i thought maybe it had to do with my ethernet card so i got a new one but its still the same.. if i connect the cable straight from the modem to my p.c the lights come on but thats not what i'm trying to do.. i'm not sure if i havent configured somethign correctly but i've tried everything.. dhcp is enabled on my p.c and its set to automatically get the ip address... does anyone have any idead what i can do??/ thanks a lot...

i was just reading something about cross over cables.. my friends p.c is a laptop.. could that be a reason why its working with his and not mine (desktop) and host is desktop, The cable is not a cross over cable.. any ideas anyone??

now i've figured that out but does anyone have any idea whi it worked with my friends laptop.. just out of curiosity.. thanks

I know a few hubs that have network ports that can autosense if they are connected to another hub and will configure the network port so that a straight cable will technically be changed into a crossover cable. (This can be done by changing the orientation of the pins instead of changing the order of the wires in the cable to the orientation of the pins. I believe it is called an uplink port on most newer hubs. When connecting a hub/switch to another hub/switch normally a crossover cable is needed unless you use a straight cable and connect the hubs using an uplink port.) Perhaps since it was a laptop it is assumed that it would more likely be connected directly to another computer thru a NIC and thus need this ability to quickly and easily connect without a crossover cable. (More likely than a desktop PC.)

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back